Friday, June 19, 2015

Apple Cinnamon Streusel Muffins

I know, I know.... it's not really apple season yet. I happened to buy a ridiculous amount of apples on my grocery shopping trip and got a little sick of eating them for every meal. I love muffins. They're a total excuse to eat something sweet and cakey for breakfast. A dream come true, right?

These are filled with chunks of apple, and make me so happy. I hope they make you happy, too!


Streusel Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup vegan butter
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 1/4 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
Muffin Ingredients:
  • 2 1/4 cups flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
  • 1 cup applesauce
  • 1/2 cup soymilk
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 3 cups diced apples
Preparation:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
  2. Line 18 muffin tins with paper or grease them
  3. Melt the butter for streusel topping.
  4. Mix all streusel ingredients in a medium bowl. Refrigerate until needed.
  5. In stand mixer, add flour, baking powder, cinnamon, sugar, and salt. Turn speed on low.
  6. In a separate bowl mix applesauce, soymilk, and vanilla.
  7. While mixer is still on low speed, add wet mixture to dry mixture. Leave some dry mix visible in batter!!
  8. Turn mixer off and add apples. 
  9. Mix apples in with a rubber spatula.
  10. Split evenly between muffin tins. (I like my batter to be a little low, so when I add the streusel it doesn't fall off the muffin)
  11. Take streusel out of the refrigerator, crumble by hand, and sprinkle on the top of muffins.
  12. Bake for 29-32 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean.
  13. Let cool!
Enjoy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment