Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Rocky Road Brownies

Brownies are one of my favorite desserts. I especially like the dense fudgey kind, because... well who doesn't?! I have also grown to love adding a crunchy element to my brownies on occasion. (When I was younger I hated crunchy things in my desserts... especially nuts of any kind. Not in my ice cream, cookies, and definitely not brownies.)

These fudgey brownies are loaded with many elements of awesome. I used walnuts this time, because that's what I had on hand-- but feel free to try whatever nuts you like best! 


Ingredients:
  • 1 cup vegan butter
  • 1 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup agave nectar
  • 1 1/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 3/4 cup applesauce
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 2 1/2 cups chocolate chips
  • 1 1/2 cups walnuts
  • 2 cups vegan ricemallow creme 
Preparation:

  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
  2. Grease a 9x13 inch pan (I usually line my pan with foil too)
  3. In a small saucepan, melt the butter on medium heat.
  4. Once the butter is melted, whisk in the sugar and agave nectar- stirring until well mixed.
  5. Remove pan from heat and add the cocoa powder. Whisk until all of the ingredients are well incorporated.
  6. In a stand mixer, add cocoa mixture, applesauce, and vanilla extract. Mix on low speed.
  7. In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, and sea salt.
  8. While mixer is still on low speed add in the dry mixture 1/4 cup at a time until it has all been used.
  9. Remove the mixing bowl from the stand. 
  10. Using a rubber spatula fold in the chocolate chips and walnuts.
  11. Bake for 25 minutes.
  12. Carefully remove the brownies from the oven.
  13. Spoon blobs of ricemallow creme over the entire top of the brownies (You're going to be able to spread the creme better once it melts)
  14. Bake the brownies for another 7 minutes, until the ricemallow creme begins to brown.
  15. Remove the brownies from the oven, and carefully spread around the ricemallow creme until it more evenly covers the top.
  16. Let cool completely before cutting.
Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment