Sunday, June 28, 2015

Vegan Samoa Cookies


I love being vegan for many reasons-- but sometimes I get a craving for something I ate before I became vegan. Where I live there is quite an abundance of vegan options at various places, so I am pretty fortunate. The unfortunate part is that I crave things I can't buy anywhere... that I know of. Which I guess isn't that unfortunate for me, because it gives me an excuse to try to recreate what I am craving.

And lately... girl scout samoa cookies are ruling my brain. I tried to suppress the longing for the coconutty chocolaty caramel treat that they are, but I couldn't take it anymore... so I made my own version.  


Vegan somoa cookies. Eat that, girl scouts! No, really... I would totally share them with you.


Cookie Ingredients:
  • 1 cup vegan butter, softened (I used earth balance buttery sticks)
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3 tablespoons soy milk
  • 2 1/4 cups flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Coconut Topping Ingredients:
Chocolate Sea Salt Ingredients:
  • 12 ounces vegan dark chocolate 
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
Preparing the Cookies:
  1. In a stand mixer, blend together the softened butter and sugar on a low speed. Once fully mixed, beat on a high speed for 2 minutes.
  2. Return the mixer to low speed, and add in the vanilla extract and soymilk. Mix until all of the ingredients are fully incorporated.
  3. In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, and sea salt.
  4. While mixer is still on low speed, add the dry ingredients 1/4 cup at a time until the mixture has all been added.
  5. Once you've finished mixing, remove the dough from the mixer, press into a flattened disk, wrap in saran wrap, and refrigerate for about an hour. (Be careful not to over-chill because the dough will become crumbly, and difficult to work with.)
  6. Once you're done chilling, remove the dough from the refrigerator.
  7. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  8. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out about 1/4 inch thick, and cut into small circles. (I didn't have a cookie cutter, so I just used a glass) 
  9. Place cut dough onto a sheet of parchment paper, so it doesn't stick. 
  10. Repeat the process until you have used all of the dough.
  11. Place cookies on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 8-10 minutes, being careful not to overbake. (the cookies will remain pale in color even when they're done!) Continue until all cookies have been baked.
  12. Let cool completely before assembly.
Preparing the Coconut Topping:
  1. On a lined baking sheet, spread the shredded coconut in a thin layer. Toast inn the 350 degree oven for 7-9 minutes until golden brown. (Stir occasionally so it toasts evenly. Once it becomes golden, remove immediately so it does not burn) 
  2. In a double boiler, melt together the caramel candy and coconut milk.
  3. Once completely melted, put 2/3 of the mixture in a separate bowl and mix in the toasted coconut. (Use a bowl that is safe to go back onto the double boiler.)
Assembly:
  1. Use remaining caramel mixture to spread a thin layer on the top of each cookie.
  2. Press the coconut mixture into the caramel layer, and let cool completely. (If the mixture becomes difficult to work with, you can reheat it on the double boiler.)
  3. Once cookies have cooled, melt the chocolate and sea salt together in a double boiler.
  4. Dip bottoms of cookies in the chocolate, and place onto parchment sheet.
  5. Use remaining chocolate mixture to drizzle over the tops of the cookies.
  6. Let chocolate set, and re-harden.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment