Monday, July 6, 2015

Peppermint Patties

Candy is one of my favorite things to make-- mostly because I love to eat it afterwards. I saw a shirt once that said "I run because I love dessert" and I really wish I had gotten it... or several of them, so I could wear them everyday. I feel like people would understand me better if they knew that information upfront. That way they understand why I don't run because I have a love of running. Not that I am some big time runner-- because... well I am not. But I swear if I wasn't such of fan of chocolate and other treats my treadmill and running shoes would collect a lot more dust. 

Peppermint patties are a simple treat to make, and are very refreshing to eat. And let's not forget delicious... because they are exactly that. DELICIOUS. That's probably why I tripled this recipe when I made it... 

I added a bit of green food coloring just to make them a little more interesting, but feel free to leave it out if you don't feel like eating Incredible Hulk peppermint patties.




Ingredients:
  • 3 tablespoons earth balance buttery sticks, softened
  • 2 teaspoons mint extract
  • 2 tablespoons soy milk
  • 2 1/2 cups vegan powdered sugar
  • 1 teaspoon green food coloring (more, or less, or none!)
  • 2 1/2 cups vegan chocolate
  • 1 tablespoon vegan shortening
Preparation:
  1. In a stand mixer, add the softened earth balance, mint extract, soy milk, food coloring, and powdered sugar.
  2. Start mixing on a low speed until a crumbly mixture starts to form.
  3. Once it is mostly combined, turn the mixer on a high speed and beat until creamy. (If your mixture is too dry feel free to add a little extra soy milk, or if it is too sticky, add a little more sugar. You want to end up with a pie dough-like mixture.)
  4. Roll mixture into a log in the diameter you like, wrap in plastic wrap, and freeze for 1 hour.
  5. Remove from the freezer, take candy out of the plastic wrap, and cut into disks of the thickness you like.
  6. Lay the disks flat on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
  7. Once all of the candy is cut, return to the freezer for another hour. 
  8. At the end of the hour, melt the chocolate and shortening in a double boiler- mixing so it combines well.
  9. Remove candy from freezer, and take the chocolate mixture off of the heat.
  10. Lay the candy flat on a fork, submerge into the chocolate, raise fork and let excess chocolate drip off. (You can use a second fork to scrape the underside of the first fork to remove the excess chocolate more quickly.)
  11. Lay the coated candy back onto the parchment sheet. (I flip the fork and let the candy fall off so I don't touch it with my finger. That way more chocolate stays on the candy.)
  12. Repeat until all of the candy has been coated in chocolate.
  13. If you have extra chocolate, feel free to drizzle the remainder over the coated candy.
  14. Return to freezer for another 30 minutes so the chocolate can harden completely before packaging or eating!

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment